Magazine Cover Review
Before viewing the magazines, I had already decided on that media for my project. I enjoy films and admire them, but a magazine is a better fit for me personally. One of the occupations I have considered is working for a magazine, either as an editor or writer. My interest in magazines was also helped by my grandma giving hers to me over the years after she read them. More recently, I have become very familiar with the magazines owned by Conde Nast, particularly Vogue. I have been subscribed for almost a year and look forward to receiving it in the mail. I cannot afford most of the items in it and do not wish to be a fashion model or designer, but I am drawn to the stunning combinations of words and visuals.
As
much as I admire and celebrate technology, I continue to cling to the tangible
written word. I strongly wish for
physical books and magazines to be preserved.
I also find it concerning how short our attention spans have become and
think it important to be challenged. A
magazine should be free to publish any length of article, but not all of its
contents need to be intellectually stimulating.
There are several ways to make people want to read an article. When viewing the magazines in class, I found
myself wanting to read the articles. This
could have been due to the layout, the photos, or the titles themselves. Some magazines I found less engaging.
One
of the most important aspects of a magazine is establishing a brand and
consistency. The brand must establish
ideals and pieces that are woven throughout that are distinctive and unique to
that particular magazine. For example, Oprah
with O effectively brands herself and her company as promoting positivity,
joy, spirituality, and warmth. Vogue is
reliably elegant and sophisticated, representative of the latest fashion designs
and high-end products. Each photo, page,
and letter are purposeful in the best magazines and all add to the narrative of
the company, the ideals or brand they are trying to sell. Juxtaposition is one successful means to
this.
Magazines can also be said to be representative of society and different groups within it. Gender stereotypes and race are displayed in magazines. In the men’s magazines we viewed like Men’s Health, GQ, and Men’s Journal embodied many male characteristics such as being bold, uninhibited, and strong. Race was displayed in Essence, a champion of “black” culture, politics, and fashion. Like other magazines we viewed, I saw it more as an art form and more expressive. Another I found to be very creative was Conde Nast Traveler, which was unique in its layout and colors. It was very visually pleasing and like the journeys promised inside, took the viewer on a sensual journey. Magazines are able to give people a new lens through which to see through and learn.
Below are a few example of Vogue covers, displaying how they stay true to their brand by putting famous women on the cover and its power as an international publication and driving force of fashion.



Comments
Post a Comment