Preliminary Layout
This week I worked on outlining more of the details of my project. There are still exact details that I have yet to decide upon, but the basics ideas are here.
Masthead: CounterCulture, Flow Intellect, Cultureprism
Main Image: A fanciful, colorful drawing/art piece of a young woman/girl reading a book while sitting down, leaning against a large tree. Around her is nature, a garden teeming with life. It is not too busy as to overwhelm the senses but has a few flowers and plants. The main shades are yellow, pink hues, and greens. The sky takes up a large portion of the top half with only a few leaves/ branches dotting it and this is where the masthead and tagline are.
Tagline: Accentuating the positive …[Also says Issue No.: and April or May]
Typography/Font: This font is Constantia and the sort of one I would like to use. It is simple and nicely elegant without being too harsh.
Feature Article Title/Content/Images/s: The feature article discusses the benefits of a connection with nature i.e. going outside, gardening, the elements, etc. Each example will have a photo, which can be an actual photograph, a drawing/sketch, or an infographic. The title will be “Outside the Manmade World” or “Nature: The Key to a Higher Self”. It is intellectual and sophisticated, containing the psychological component, while at the same time universal. The writing is academic but discusses an idea that all people would benefit from.
Content Page Styling/Article Title Ideas: keep the same font as the front cover and the text, but do the article titles in different colors with the page number slightly smaller next to it. Each will have a short summary of the piece. One piece could be a section on haikus, which are typically about nature, like “Hashin” [no sky and no earth] or Babette Deutsch [The falling flower]. Since haikus are a Japanese form of poetry, it also adds to the magazine’s global scale and inclusivity of varying cultures. Another article would be a book review for a book about nature or a character with a connection to nature. If I cannot think of another book, I could make it “A Review of The People in the Trees: Cultural Relativism and Questioning Modernity”. This book adds to the intellectual appeal and adds to the narrative of understanding different people groups as well as societies that are more connected to nature. Other articles could be “How to Picnic Correctly” or “Spring Fashion: The Maxi Dress” or “One Woman’s Healthy Journey Through Gardening”. There are a few other subject areas that I could touch upon or that come to mind, but I would have to pinpoint a title.
Comments
Post a Comment